Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Lucky Litters - Part III

Well, that was unexpected.  I had said Z. Lita x Sugardaddy was 2 torts.  I saw the tort shading on the newborns' skin and just assumed that's what they were.  Now they are Sable Points.  Then I remembered they sometimes display that same tort shading on the lower body and head.  Boy, I'm batting nearly 0 for color guesses lately.  But hey, the sable point project is on the fast track.

I didn't think Sugardaddy carried shaded which is why I expected torts.  Shaded has to hook up with another "c" gene to be expressed so I reviewed his pedigree to see where it might have come from.  There it is...his ggdam is a himi.

That will probably be a problem.  I also bred Daddy to Baroquen who carries himi for sure, and one of the reasons I used him with her is because I thought he was clean.  Oh, I sure hope there's something besides himis in that litter.  I knew breeding himi x broken might come back to bite me, but was hoping careful planning would avoid it.

Got a few does due this week and next.  One pulled some fur today, but I'm not optimistic.  I found some bloody matter under her cage when I cleaned the other day.  I think she aborted something.  Grrr, this is one of the nice broken does who has yet to give me a live litter.

Got a couple does bred this week, and still have a few more that need it.

Weather has been pretty good.  It got up to 64 yesterday.  Another cold snap today and tonight but I think it's warming up again for the rest of the week.  I sure do like the heating bills this winter.  So far, they've been half what they were last year.  I like it.

61 days until Spring
tnt