Friday, April 16, 2010

Blog-worthy

I'm kinda excited about this so here I am writing about it.

Rana, my wee chocolate doe had her 1st litter yesterday. Sadly, it's dead, but still exciting for a couple reasons.

1st. Kits were alive! There were 3 born in the night. The black was alive but cold and dying. A chocolate that was alive at birth, and a broken that I couldn't tell if born alive or not. I decided not to try to save the black. It looked like it was taking its last breaths, there was no where to foster it, and didn't want to tie Rana up for just one kit that I didn't care about. So I let it die. The fact that they were alive amazes me. She was 2 days late, 1st timer, she's so small, I just didn't expect a live litter out of her. She didn't nest until that last day, and then she was frantic about it, and she pulled a good amount of fur.

2nd and the most important. Sire was Dot.com. The broken was dotted like him!!! He has never thrown his pattern before! He's a "dalmation" with evenly spaced spots all over his body. Coolest pattern ever and he never failed to earn oohs and aahs at shows, even from judges. His get always had a spinal stripe instead of dots. This dotty kit was the other reason I can't wait to rebreed Rana.

I know the odds of repeating this pattern are slim but I can only hope. I'm rebreeding Rana and Anaba today.

Update on the other litters. I now know for sure what the brokens are. I'm not saying here. I'm going to post them as a guessing game for the forums.
tnt