Thursday, May 20, 2010

Another litter

Just one. Anaba x Raspberry Run Messenger has 3 lovely himis. She's my best himi show doe (6 legs) so I looked forward to this litter. When I say lovely, I really mean that. I don't think of newborn kits as cute, especially pink ones. I don't see cute until they are 2 1/2 to 3 weeks old. Open eyes, round faces, fuzzy...that's cute. Anaba's kits are all the same small size (a good thing), clean, plump, and pretty in pink. She's taking very good care of them, and as all my himis, she's very calm about it.

Rana failed. She built such a nice furry nest, but dumped the DOA litter on the wire. Looks like she had difficulty getting them out. There were only 2. She was 2 days late, but I didn't worry much because her last litter was late. I had my hopes up too high since she didn't do too bad the 1st time. Try try again.

I should get a photo of Rana. I just noticed this morning that she has perfect "poodle pom poms" on her front legs. Does pull nest fur so funny sometimes. Her fur is very thick and lush unlike most rabbits that have smoother fur on their legs.

All the does than needed rebreeding are bred except for Rana and Gypsy Eyes. I'll get to them real soon.

Rayven is also taking excellent care of her 3 + the himi fosterling.

In guinea news:

I picked up my order of 8 keets on Monday. About an hour drive into NC. Interesting guy. Has a wonderful place in the mountains. He only raises guineas and has a pretty cool setup for that. Turns out he's published author of historical novels.

The keets are in a rubbermaid bin in the kitchen. They're only about 2 weeks old, too small to go outside yet. I'll move them into the rabbit cage I converted to accommodate young birds until they are big enough to turn loose in the Summer House. When they are big enough that they don't fit through the chainlink fence, I'll turn them out to free range.

In the meantime, it's kind of smelly in that area of the kitchen. The chick starter feed gets...ummm...fragrant. I guess because they kick it out and it mingles with their droppings and the shavings which might be a bit wet because they also kick water all over. I have to clean it out every few days. Oh well, should only be another week or so and they can go outside. They grow fast.

The hen is sitting on her 2nd clutch more. I've marked the calendar and will try and save as many as possible when the hatch comes. I already know that hatchling keets won't survive long around here.

Abby would probably be the one to get them. Abby is the bird hunter. Her mother Stevie is the ratter. I've seen a decline in birds at the bird feeders and the bluebirds abandoned their initial attempts to nest in the birdhouses. Grrr. Abby even curls up for a nap in the birdbath near the feeders. Without a lot of rain, it's dry most of the time.

One of the things I have to do before the keets can go outside is plug up the places Abby gets into the Summer House. I caught her in there a couple times and couldn't figure out how she got in. The 2nd time I watched and what she does is climb the dogrun and slip in the gap between the top of the run and the carport roof. I'll patch it with chicken wire. Haven't caught her in there in a while, but I know as soon as I put those small peeping things out here, she will try.

Not much else. Next show is Taylorsville, NC, and that's probably it for a while. There's the SDF Rendevous in June but that's not a show. I don't have anything else on docket until the Newport, TN show in August. I'm debating the Dickson, TN in July. That's the other side of Nashville and such a long drive. I'm really backing off long drives to shows this year. I did enjoy the Dickson show, so I'll see how I feel when the time comes.

tnt