Thursday, August 13, 2009

Dog Days

Ah August. Actually, it's been a real easy summer. Not too hot, enough rain. Oh I said that before. Well it's still true!

As I said before the new chestnut buck is proving very interesting. I'm learning a whole new set of genetics here. There were 2 mystery kits in his first litters. The solid looked like a smoke pearl marten but has turned into a chinchilla. Hmmph...and it seems to be shaded chin. I'll toss that as a pet. The broken in the other litter really had me stumped, but it now looks chin, too. Again, lookin shaded but maybe it won't be as noticable on the broken pattern for show. Judges don't seem to notice slight anomalies in color on the brokens. I won't keep the solid chin, and not sure how to use the broken chin. It wasn't my plan to have chins.

This makes me rethink the entire shaded program. If broken is to be my focus,and it is, should I even bother with shadeds any more? Other than the BEWs, I kinda need everything else to work with the brokens. Yeah, shadeds might have to go.

So what am I doing? I'm currently making arrangements to have a pair of himis from a superior line upnorth brought in. I said before that doing himi AND broken is a bit self-defeating, but I do like himis for their simplicity. Not a lot of color issues once you get all the correct modifiers in place.

tnt