Friday, March 20, 2009

1st Day of Spring

Aaah, my favorite time of the year. Daffodils are in full bloom and some of the flowering trees and shrubs are popping. It's been real nice weather-wise. A little rainy, but we need rain. Altho, it dipped back into the low 30s this morning, and same is predicted for tomorrow.

The 3 wk old litters are hopping out of the box. The best age! I attempted to confirm the early teat-sexing yesterday, and I think most of my first impressions are correct. Looks like lots of does...yay.

A lot of promising babies. A pair of smoke pearls, lots of blacks and broken blacks. Unfortunately, none of the brokens out of my beloved Silverado have pattern. I'll keep trying him on broken does. I did get a real nice broken seal buck out of Silver, but I sold him. Just don't have room for too many unshowable bucks.

Oh yeah and BEWs! I finally got some BEW babies! It's been so long since there were blue eyes in the nestbox. Moonbaby x Ford's Parti Boy (her 3rd try) had 2 BEWs, 2 chestnut VMs. All very cute at almost 2 wks old. The chestnut VMs are fun. I haven't had agouti in the box since the beginning of the rabbitry. They have cool markings, too.

I wasn't sure she was feeding them at first. Black Dahlia had a litter in time to take on some of them. I gave the BEWs to Dahlia because I trust her. Dahlia's litter wasn't as good as usual. She has 1 live left, and I think it's a broken sable pt. That would be a first.

I'm in show mode for Mocksville today. I'm not showing as many buns as usual. Just 5 bucks. Don't really have anything else except for some in the same varieties. Not a lot of point in showing against myself. Or the ones who haven't done as well on the table. No sense wasting fees on them.

I should thin out the broken black bucks, but they each have something to offer so I'm not ready to let them go yet. They all have such fun personalities and a place in my heart. If they were unfriendly, it would be easier to move them on.

Show season is in full swing. I have another NC show next weekend, and again the 1st week in April. A couple TN shows in May.

I decided I needed another blog to cover the gardens, so news about that can be found at Natureschild Gardenworks. It's now under "Other Blogs" to the right.

tnt