Sunday, January 18, 2009

Latest litters.

There were quite a few failures, which I expected, but I do have some new babies. I'm just using names here, but you can see them on my site by clicking my logo at the right.

Successes:

Nahani x Axl - 1 sable pt. She had 3, 2 were DOA. This is the same as her last litter. She's such a tiny doe, I feel lucky to get 1.

Jean Geni x Axl - 3 sable pts. She had 4 but 1 was cold. I had planned to sell Geni, but she was my only reliable sable pt doe at this time. Now that both Nahani and Ayasha are proving to be reliable does, I'll sell her after this litter.

Ayasha x Dot.com - 2 black, 1 broken black w/nice blanket pattern. The broken was fostered to Nahani so she has more than one in her box. I'm very pleased with Ayasha. This is her 3rd attempt and she handled it perfectly. First 2 tries were unsuccessful.

It's been wicked cold this week, and these nestboxes come in the house at night. Can't afford to lose them.

Failures:

Hamilton's Infiniti x Dot.com - 1st litter, 2nd try. I'm not sure how many she had. Maybe 4 or 5. Didn't build a nest at all, strewed body parts all over the wire. It was an awful mess as she ate on them. I think a couple were peanuts. I'm surprised as I thought she was a false dwarf. She looks like one and is mighty big. I sure hope she gets it right eventually. I need the massive bone and genetics she is carrying.

Minerva x Silverado - 1st try. 3 DOA. Didn't build nest.

Iron Maiden x Dot.com - 1st try. 2 DOA. Didn't nest.

Painted Lady x Garner's Gunn -1st try. 2 DOA on the wire. She built a lovely nest several days early.

Black Dahlia x Garner's Gunn - 3 black, 1 broken black. She left them at the front of the box and they died of cold before I found them. This is not like her, she's a very good doe. I didn't even think she was bred. She didn't lift, and I didn't see the buck connect. She asked for the box a few days ago so I had to wait till kindling to guess the breeding date.

Angeni x ? -1st litter, 2nd try. She also didn't lift and I don't remember what buck I tried her with. Maybe Axl. She had gotten too fat, so I had her in a jr hole to knock some weight off. Darned if she didn't kindle there! On the wire and dead of course. I think 3, and a couple may have been born alive. Cool, that's a good sign for some success next time.

Lorelai x Firestarter - missed.

Still waiting on for this week:

Moonstruck x Ford's Parti Boy - 2nd try
Misty Moon x McZ - 1st try
Aeryn x Axl - experienced

I so hope I get some BEWs. It's been too long without BEW babies.

Other news:

It's so much warmer! Aah! Fri and Sat it went down to 5F. Didn't get above 20F on Fri. Sat a little better...we made it to the freezing mark! This morning it's above freezing...34F! Better than they said we'd get. Forecast said 16F. I have both heaters running in the shed, so if any litters came in the night, they should be warm enough. It gets quite toasty in there if it's not too cold outside. The dusting of snow we got a few days ago is even melting. It stayed wherever the sun didn't shine.

All for now. tnt (till next time)