Saturday, March 16, 2013

St. Patty's babies - 3/16/13

Or close enough to St. Patrick's Day to say so.  Baroquen x Smith's Boo made my day.  She has 3 beautiful brokens.  I'm also calling it my lucky birthday litter.  Hmmm, green might be the theme for names.

Baroquen is one of my favorite brood does.  She's also the oldest in the current herd.  Still producing like crazy, and she hardly ever fails.  One of the best things about her is that she always throws nice brokens.  This time, it was 3/5.  Last litter (died of cold) was 2/2.  Before that 4/4.  There's almost always a keeper or two.  The litter of 4/4, 2 had her gorgeous bold pattern which she had never thrown before.  I kept the 2 does from that litter and one has the pattern.

I had Baroquen up for sale a while back thinking I was done with her, but then took her down and bred her when I didn't get any bites.  That's also when I got the 2 new bucks.  So glad no one bought her then.

She might go up for sale after this litter, or I might repeat the sire(s) one more time.  I'll see how I feel about that when I see how this litter turns out.  I'd like to try Smith's Lou again because I didn't get the chocolate I was expecting from that pairing.  Maybe the genetic dice will roll in my favor next time.

All the other does are bred, and a 1st timer is due Monday.  Here's hoping St. Patty and Baroquen's success bring good luck for more spring litters.

It's finally like spring here!  71 as I write this.  Bout time.  It's been too cold and it snowed a couple days ago.  Yeah yeah, I know, it's just March.  But it's March in the south, ya'll.  It's supposed to be better by now.  

3 days until SPRING!