Sunday, July 1, 2012

Coming Out Day

The rest of the birds were turned out today.  I just opened the pen gate and let them come out on their own. In the past, I selectively put them out.  I always clip wings before I turn them out, and I did that last night after they went to roost.  I don't think they will fly over the 5' fence, but better safe than sorry.

Integration went well.  There's was no aggression from the others that were already out.  Here, one of the Rhodies and a red greeted them as they trickled out.

These are partridges and birchens.  Or silver penciled.  I'm still not sure which.

I scattered some mixed bird seed/cracked corn to get them excited about foraging in the grass.  They love their bird seed!  In this shot, mottled roo, birchen hen and roo, partridge hen and roo, red hen, buff hen and a Rhodie hen.

Happy chickens.  Happy chicken keeper.  They should go through much less feed now.

It will be interesting to see which birds go roost in the pen tonight, and which go to the outside roosts.  I'm hoping they will split up but I'm sure the dynamics will change.

I was amused by a couple of the original free rangers chasing after Japanese beetles that are starting to emerge.  The guineas were masters at catching the beetles out of the air, but they aren't here anymore to teach the chickens. I'm pleased they figured out on their own that these big fat beetles are fairly easy to catch and make a good meal.  It's funny to watch a squat fluffy cochin waddling as fast as he can after the bugs.

Whew.  It was 101 again yesterday.  They're saying 100+ again for today, and it was 85 by 9am.  I had the chores done by then, and retreated into the house.  Sure hope this weather pattern breaks soon.

tnt