Monday, July 25, 2011

Very pleased.

I have a few kits out of the borrowed black buck. So far, they look very promising.

Dreamcatcher x Smith's BL4 has a lovely broken black. Almost a week old now. Dreamcatcher is great about raising singletons. Even during winter and without my intervention, she raises them successfully. My intervention is taking the nestboxes in the house at night. If I don't really care about the one she had, I just leave it to her devices. Anyways, the kit has a big round head, good size (not too big) and definitely showable pattern. Looking forward to how it develops.

Dreamspinner x BL4 had hers yesterday. This is her 2nd attempt (1st time fail). A black and another lovely broken black. I wasn't sure if Spinner was a BUD or not. She looks a little broody, but isn't all that big. That's typical for my BUDs. She also had a peanut (of course it was nicely broken) which proves her as a true dwarf. Cool. I like her type (big head!), although her pattern is borderline over 50%. I showed her a few times and she earned a leg. I really look forward to her litters. I might not have allowed the solid black, but her type and heritage (import otters) and BL's type (also out of otters) make it worth growing. She's taking very good care of her babies.

I'm still waiting on Chevette, also 2nd timer and due yesterday. Also bred to BL. Yeah, I've bred him to EVERYTHING! I'll keep him busy for as long as he's here. I expect all blacks from the himis, but that's ok. That worked out very well in the past. There's a remote chance BL carries dilute and it would be wonderful if Chevette who IS blue, throws it.

Got a few more litters due in Aug, and several does will be coming of age then.

These litters disprove the theory that bucks go sterile when it gets over 85. It's been 90+ in the shade for most of this summer. To my knowledge, I've never had a case of buck heat sterility. BL came from a barn cooler than mine. The Smiths are higher in the mountains and the NC side of the mts is shaded more from the afternoon sun. Their property is more shaded by trees as well. Normally, I'd keep a borrowed buck in the shed, but I didn't think he'd fare well in the heat in there. So he's been in the Summer House and apparently that's enough to keep him virile.

Elsewhere, all is well. Chickens are growing, keets are free-ranging, and dogs are hiding from the heat all day long. I don't like it, but their "cave" is under the back deck. I had it loosely fenced off under there, but they've gotten through. I have a plan to fix that when I get the deck redone. It's badly in need of redoing. I'll incorporate a cave into the new design so they aren't laying in the dirt under there. No point in giving them a bath. Whipper is molting and his white parts aren't white. Tanner is still surprisingly white. If he molted, I missed noticing it. Maybe because his hair is shorter.

Wicked hot and humid still. Overnight and morning rain (like today) makes for very muggy mornings. It's a bugger for sure. I don't like to leave the shed door open when it's rainy. The wood floor gets wet if it's the least breezy. Most of the wind comes from that direction. But I really need to leave the door open when it's this hot. Thought about an awning of some sort, but doubt it would survive the big winds I get back here. One good thing about the heat. Don't have to worry about kitsickles. It's plenty warm enough for litters to survive.

Hang in there. One more month of the worst of summer.

tnt