Saturday, June 4, 2011

Procrastinating....

...can come back and bite ya.

I had to run errands yesterday. So I just fed the animals and watered as needed from jugs that I keep filled. I'll do a full watering when I get back, I said to self.

The road commission has been cleaning up the storm debris at the end of the road. All the downed trees, etc. They had a big rig and hauled the wood away in a dump truck. They were at it for several days. The road is so narrow, we had to wait until the rig could maneuver and give us room to get by. I'm surprised they got to it this soon since this dead-end road isn't really a priority. I guess they were caught up with the more important damage.

When I came back yesterday afternoon, there was a fast stream of water running down the road. Oh no. Was the creek diverted by their digging? Or was it the water main? Then I saw the water utility pickup at the beginning of the stream. Yep...water main. The road commish broke it while digging out the stumps. They were nowhere around, but had left the backhoe. The utility guy wasn't happy because they hadn't called it in. I wasn't happy...that's my water. All I could think was how long will this take and do I have enough water in jugs to wait it out? Not really. The full watering would have included refilling all the jugs, and there were only 2 full ones and a couple mostly empty. The rest were empty. I did have a couple in the house so I could wash hands, brush teeth, and make a pot of coffee.

I keep quite a few gallon jugs in both the shed and Summer House, and the ones in the house. I can fill water bottles that empty faster and still have plenty left for emergency (or procrastinating). Also a large 5 gallon jug on the porch so I can fill the bowls scattered around the yard for the dogs and guineas. I usually drag the hose out every couple days to top off everything. But this day, I had let it go too long. The utility company is good! They had it fixed in within 4 hours. Yay!

Moral of the story: Don't put it off, and always keep enough emergency water to get through a few days.

Oh yeah, and the road is much better, too. It's narrow to begin with and all the debris made it even narrower. Sure did make it brighter! The woods came right up to the road. Now the 1/4 mile or so at the end is open to the sky. Still looks strange to me when I go through there. I was used to it being so shady.

tnt