Sunday, April 17, 2011

Well heck

Lost another guinea to the marauding fox yesterday. I assume it was the fox. Didn't see it but heard the uproar just before sunup. Stupid birds don't have enough sense to stay inside the fence until full daylight.

This time it was a hen. Down to just the 1 hen and 2 males now. Since I have no idea which of the hens was laying in the garden nest, I confiscated the 10 eggs that were there and will begin incubating them. I'll watch the nest in case more appear.

I plan to attempt to keep the chickens' wings clipped in hopes that will keep them in the fence. Hoping they will be as efficient as the guineas for controlling pests like ticks. That's the reason for having guineas. If they weren't so useful, they'd be too loud and annoying.

Shaping up to be a beautiful day!

tnt