Monday, March 14, 2011

Oh well

Lost all of Flashdance's kits. Well, all but one but I'm pretty sure that one is history, too. I don't know what was going on with them. As I said in the last post, she didn't seem to have any milk. But when I gave the 2 torts to Lady Blaque, Lady's kits were fed, but the fosterlings were not. Flashdance's solid tort died that night, but the broken is still alive as of today.

Yesterday, I pulled Lady out and held her on her back to let the kit nurse. It was real eager to nurse and I thought it was. But it didn't plump up. Tried a different approach by holding her on the table in a show pose to expose her belly and put the kit under her. Again, I think it was suckling but for some reason not getting any. Lady was so good about all this odd handling.

This morning I tried again, but the kit was weaker and didn't suckle at all. I expect it to be gone by tomorrow. It also bothered Lady because she jerked every time it did latch onto the teat. I think it was biting too hard. Of course, it had the better pattern of the 2 broken torts so it's a real loss.

Luckily, Flashdance was eager to breed again. I didn't have an open doe to breed with her so I hope the ones that were bred 3 days earlier can help. It looks like the only way I'll get anything from her is to foster them off immediately.

Dreary and cool today, but the forecast for later this week calls for awesome with sunshine and 70s!

5 days until Spring!

tnt