Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Facebook

I seem to be in a ranty sort of mood these days. Can't help it, some things just plain bother me. So today, the topic is Facebook and rabbit breeders. I think I might have talked about this before, but since it's recently annoyed me, here it is again.

First, is no one concerned that FB (and the guy who owns it) seems to be taking over the world? Or at least the internet. It's looking like most people now get their internet via their phones, and every phone company offers FB apps. Fewer and fewer use websites, forums, or even email. Are computers becoming obsolete? How sad that would be.

Yeah, I have a FB account (Spring Creek Gems if you want to look me up). I don't really use it all that much, but since everyone else does, I have it. It's mostly to socialize with friends. I recently set up a D6 FB page and that was a great idea if I do say so myself. It's seems to be something members will use. It's linked to the D6 Website and I can announce that the site has been updated.

I don't have a very fancy phone. I use it to make PHONE CALLS. If I wanted I could use it for internet, but I don't. I'd have to pay more and it's not in my budget. I don't text either. Also costs more, and to make sure people who live to text don't try to send me anything (extra for even receiving texts), that feature is blocked on both my phone and computer.

I love my desktop computer! It's fairly new, sleek and powerful, and I can do anything with it. Including seeing all the internet has to offer on a 19" widescreen. I have a full-size keyboard where I can type as I was taught in school, and I can type pretty fast. I have email accounts and that's how I prefer to communicate, especially for bunny biz. I do not need internet everywhere I go. I can wait until I get home. I do have a little Netbook that I can take with me if I'll be gone for more than a day. It's come in very handy when the power went out.

I recently used FB to get the word out about rabbits I wanted to sell. That didn't go well. I had people messaging or posting on FB even though I clearly stated more than once that inquiries be via email. One person said, "FB is easier for me." Awww, too bad. It's not easier for me. My email account keeps everything nice and organized where I can quickly read, review, and reply. If you want to do business with me, you're just going to have to learn how to use email. I won't be posting sale rabbits on FB anymore. You'll have to check my website.

BTW, the person who bought one of those rabbits is not on FB. Yep, he knows to watch my sale page, just as I know to watch his. The other buyer didn't "friend" me until after they bought the rabbit, so they also found it on my website.

I also detest inquiries in "texting" form. I write full sentences with caps (where correct), punctuation, and the grammer I learned in school. Texters are so used to abbreviations (that not everyone knows), short non-sentences without punctuation or caps, or worse...all caps, they just automatically write this way all the time. I know this has a lot to do with the tiny keyboards on phones, but that's no excuse. When I get a "texted" email, I immediately have less respect for the person writing to me. For that, they will get less from me. I won't bother going into detail about anything. I'll just answer the questions as shortly as they were given to me. I really appreciate a well-written email, and I'll respond in kind.

Ok, I'm done. What else is going on?

Had a couple litters due this week, but they're busts. I was surprised to see a Max Factor in one of them. It's been so long since I got one, I didn't know if MF was still running in my lines, but apparently it is. These things tend to show up from new rabbits. In this case, the tort buck Whiskey Mac. The MF kit had open eyes, but legs looked ok. It had an odd-shaped head, looked more like a puppy with narrow snout and high forehead. The only decent broken was a peanut. There's a few more due the 2nd week of March.

Earlier this week I saw a fox! That was very cool. I figured they were around but I'd never seen one until now. It was just after sunup and it was after the guineas that were out front under the birdfeeders. They raised a big ruckus so it was only there for a minute or so. Wish I had got to the camera quicker. I was just so surprised I didn't think until it was too late. It was a beautiful animal in full winter coat, and close enough to the window for a good shot.

Weather is still real nice. It's frosty this morning, but should get in the 50s. I can live with that in February.

24 days until Spring!

tnt