Sunday, January 30, 2011

Triple Crown

Yesterday was the Southeastern Dwarf Fanciers Triple Crown in Spartanburg, SC. This is a triple open specialty show that only sanctions 3 dwarf breeds - Netherland Dwarfs, Holland Lops, and Mini Rex. In a departure from previous years, some other breeds were included but the 3 sponsor clubs didn't sanction them. The exhibitors had the option of sanctioning them for themselves. I'm not sure what we'll will do about that in the future as it did slow down the show a little. There was a system in place to keep 3 breeds moving along to 3 judges. I'm sure it will be discussed at our club's meeting & Rendevous in June.

Actually, the show was just real slow for some reason, and I don't think it was the extra breeds. I didn't get out of there until after 6pm which is very unusual. I had a jr up for BOB but I knew she wasn't going any further so I booked after my last group was finished. Didn't get home until almost 9pm and I was whipped.

The weather was wonderful. A cold start but it warmed up real nicely with plenty of sunshine. Some exhibitors and judges came from much colder states, and we were pleased we could give them a taste of spring. The turnout was very good and other than being so tired as the day dragged on, we all had a good time.

How did I do? I think I pulled a few legs on my brokens but didn't keep written track so I'll have to wait until the report comes to say for sure. Most of my entry was young jrs so not really competitive. Otters and/or Silver Martens took the day across the board. The tan pattern group was huge, and judges were hard put to choose from the top half of the classes where the quality was so close. That could be a factor in the slowness of the day.

I brought home a new herd buck. Ford's Roc is a very nice black that I hope will add some things I need for the brokens, and he'll get himi does, too. I love an all-purpose buck! I was a bit frustrated in not knowing where to get what I need without resorting to otters which I really don't want. I'm pleased I spotted him in the carrier and the price was right.

So, in keeping with my perpetual herd reduction (and not wanting otters), I've put LB92 up for sale. I've got what I needed from him and it's time to move him on.

For Sale - Lil' Bit Farms LB92
Mostly Darkside's import lines and some Bond's. He's a big guy (3-4 oz over) but he is a true dwarf (throws peanuts). He meshes better with true dwarf does than BUDs, and I have some real nice get from him. He even covered my smallest does and they had live litters without a hitch. Did good things for bone, HQ, and head/ear. Carries self and dilute, throws more selfs than otters, and throws his great pattern consistently. It was never my intention to have otters, I bought him for his type, pattern and self/dilute genes. Earned a BOB leg the first time I showed him, but the 2nd judge that day DQ'd for weight. Decided to sell him after getting the new self buck yesterday. Price is what I paid for him.

I'm feeling hungover today. And no, not due to alcohol. Probably overly tired although I slept pretty hard last night. Maybe it was that heaping plate of dessert I indulged in. Lunch was pot luck and the sweets to be had took up most of the buffet table. There was the best cherry cobbler I've ever had! Yeah, feeling kinda wimpy today. Looks like a lazy day for me. Maybe a long overdue photo shoot.

48 days until Spring!

tnt