Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Herd reduction successful.

I'm very pleased with how the BEW sell out went. I had a lot of hits for individual rabbits the 1st day, but I held out for a buyer for the entire herd. A serious and intelligent BEW breeder came along the 2nd day, and I'm very happy with my choice of buyer. I'm confident they will take my work and move it forward, and my lines will live on. Maybe someday I'll see a descendant of my beloved stock kick tail on the table!

They aren't leaving for a few weeks. In the meantime, I'm giving them more of my attention. I will miss them so, and want to enjoy them while they are still here.

This also made the overall reduction very successful. After they are all delivered in a few weeks, I can do some rearranging and spring cleaning. Several does are coming to breeding age and they can move into vacated brood holes. It should be warm enough to move the bucks and jrs out to the Summer House.

Yikes! I might be strapped for carrier holes! I'm delivering around 14 head to that show. Some jrs and mom + kit can share a hole. I might not have enough room for my show string. I'll have to look at that. Might not be showing as many as I planned. I do have a couple carriers without dividers that I use for transporting groups of bunnies. I might have to put the dividers back in. I wonder where they are.

My local TSC had a sign posted near the feed that they'll take bunnies in March. They only sell bunnies and chicks in the spring. Perfect timing for me. I have culls in current litters that can go then. If there are any pet buyers reading this, now would be the time to let me know. I'm not holding onto them any longer than necessary.

I discovered a way to give the busy buns something to do. I've always put hay in their racks. Some of the boys think this means playtime. They immediately dig it out and strew it all over their cage. The next door neighbor sees that this looks like fun and soon all of them are doing it. An awful lot of hay is wasted. I noticed some would pull hay through the wire from a neighbor's rack. My cages are set up with space on top. Now I put a handful of hay on top of the cages, usually over 2 holes at a time. They have to stand up and pull it down a blade at a time. They get exercise and relief from boredom.

Snowing. Again. Cold. Again. [sigh]

31 days until Spring!

tnt